Monday, May 23, 2011

Gluten-Free Delicious Crock-Pot Stuffed Chicken Breasts

My younger brother, when we were growing up, called chicken breasts "chicken boobies."  No matter how old I get, I always think of that when I cook chicken breasts. 

I made stuffed chicken breasts for Easter dinner last month.  It was a brand new recipe, and I was so excited to try it and impress my husband and daughter with delicious holiday food.  It was terrible!!  So, I hunted and searched until I found this gem-recipe.  You can see the original recipe at http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Bacon-and-Feta-Stuffed-Chicken-Breast/Detail.aspx.  It was without a doubt the best chicken I've cooked in a long, long while.  Plus, it was simple to prepare in ten minutes plus 3 hours of cooking time!


Ingredients:

3 boneless gluten-free, organic chicken breasts
1/3 cup feta cheese or the cheese of your choice, crumbled or diced into very small pieces
1/4 cup gluten-free bacon bits
fresh basil or basil pesto (I used pesto with garlic and basil.)
2 (14 1/2 oz.) cans gluten-free diced tomatoes (I used basil and oregano diced tomatoes.)

Directions:
  1. Mix bacon and feta cheese together in a small bowl.  Set aside.
  2. Cut a 2-3 inch slit, lengthwise, in the side of each chicken breast to create a pocket into which you fill with the cheese mixture.  Secure closed using toothpicks as needed.
  3. First, place the chicken breasts in the bottom of a greased crock pot or slow cooker.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper; add tomatoes and basil.
  4. Cook on the High setting for about 2 1/2 - 3 hours or until the chicken is no longer pink and the internal temperature is 165 degrees. 

No comments:

Post a Comment